No announcement yet.

Pipo M9 Max RileyROM 2.6 KitKat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Confirmed original Chinese firmware works fine on dual nand board. RileyRom 2.6 fails to boot on same tablet.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Comment

Try 2.6.1 in the previous post and see if it will boot for you.
      Randy
      Freaktab Developer, Product Reviewer, Moderator and "Flashaholic".
      Read my BIO Here
      Be sure to donate to support Freaktab.com. If any of my development work makes a positive difference for you, please make a donation to support future RileyROM's.
      Donate here

Comment

Downloading 2.6.1 now. Will report back. Chinese firmware seems good so far.

Sent from my M9 using Tapatalk

Comment

I don't understand any. I read tablets with dual nand works with original and rileyrom, but now it doesn't boot with riley? I'm comfused now. Fyi, i have a single nand tablet.

Enviado desde mi GT-I9300 mediante Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by rrileypm View Post
            Sometimes you have to use a little process of elimination to figure out why things don't work.

If you say the stock version of this firmware works, but my ROM doesn't, there must be something I've done in my process that prevents the ROM from booting on some tablets.

In the past, I've encountered problems booting from something as simple as a bad graphic file in the boot.img, or kernel.img...or a boot animation that doesn't seem to work. I've also had problems with too much debloated...or a module that I've loaded that hangs the boot process.

Because of this, I've done a redo of this ROM (2.6.1) with:

Different boot animation
            No boot.img graphic
            No kernel.img graphic
            Less debloat
            No insmod for the ko modules

Let's see if it will boot. Can someone test this for me and report?

Download
            Ok Sir,
            I was lucky on the first KK download ("original beta firmware") now I will get my feet wet and go with this one, be back soon I HOPE!!!

Comment

Confirmed boot with 2.6.1. Well done Riley. However it reports Exchange Services Stopped at end of booting. Haven't seen this before.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Comment

That's a problem I've found with these latest KK releases from Pipo. Were you able to get Exchange Services to run on the stock firmware?
                Randy
                Read my BIO Here
                Be sure to donate to support Freaktab.com. If any of my development work makes a positive difference for you, please make a donation to support future RileyROM's.
                Donate here

Comment

Could you say if this works on single nand tablet?

Enviado desde mi GT-I9300 mediante Tapatalk

Comment

I didn't knowingly enable exchange services in the Chinese ROM but I didn't get the exchange services stopped popup either. I do with 2.6.1.

Sent from my M9 using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks...I'm doing some testing on that...I think I have a solution.

Funny, this discovery might help me on some other ROM's.
                      Randy
                      Read my BIO Here
                      Donate here

Comment

Originally posted by ghforlife View Post
                        Ok Sir,
                        I was lucky on the first KK download ("original beta firmware") now I will get my feet wet and go with this one, be back soon I HOPE!!!
                        Ok, I'm back and yes it does boot, but a with a popup, "exchange services has stopped" , back to the drawing broad "A". Other than that it looks good, Well done!!!

Comment

Ok, I'm back up and running, let me know when your ready to test again...

Comment

Originally posted by soapymist View Post
                            I didn't knowingly enable exchange services in the Chinese ROM but I didn't get the exchange services stopped popup either. I do with 2.6.1.Sent from my M9 using Tapatalk
                            It's normal! the exchange2.apk is not in the Official 4.4.2 beta

Comment

@rrileypm

I made a lot of test today but between starting my test and now the 2.6.1 was out

I saw that you changed kernel.img and boot.img in 2.6.1
                              Your 2.6 boot.img is working fine but there was a problem in the kernel.img
                              In the previous 4.2.2 kernel, the picture was 1280x800 but in this kernel the pic was only 80x80
                              This may be the cause of the problem (or not!)!

Since we are speaking of things, some europeans people need 'nls_utf8.ko' in /system/lib/modules to access local characters.
                              Can you, please, add it in your M9 MAX roms? I will attach the file here for the 3.0.36+ kernel.
                              In an other side, you setup VPN in boot.img!
                              for the same reason is it possible to put it in init.d instead of the boot.img?
                              Not everyone can unpack/repack a boot.img and mod init.rc to insmod a module!
                              At least don't insmod
                              'nls_utf8.ko' in the init.d script since it's just a scipt and not every country need it!
                              I also attached a 4.2.2 Pipo bootanimation.zip modded for 4.4.2 That I used with the 4.4.2 v2.3 made by Oma.

Btw, I made a list of things not working in the 4.4.2 beta and I have some .apk files to test.
                              I will post them tomorrow (GMT+1 here) as a custom recovery zip if they work.

Thanks a lot for all yours RRom

So, even if it's not needed anymore here are my tests of the RR2.6:

I tried the 2.6 RileyROM and I also have problems with it (Device didn't swith on after Flashing!)
                              I have a two nands MB with a serial dated from December 5th, 2013.
                              ---> My screentouch chipset is Goodix GT928
                              ---> The official 4.4.2beta is working on my tablet but not the RileyROM 2.6
                              ---> The Oma' 4.4.2 v2.3 for 1st generation loader was also working with some patchs (camera orientation, screen orientation and maybe more!)
                              ---> Before these tests, my firmware was a homemade custom based on 'update#117_DS1006_PIPO_1.0.13_3G_NOMMS_20140213.i mg'
                              ---> RileyRom 2.5.3 was working fine too!

So here are some tests I made...

A. First, I installed the official 4.4.2 Beta Firmware (update_DS1006_4.4_20140604)
                              It Worked fine even if some files are missing :

* Modules (cifs.ko, md4.ko, tun.ko, nls_utf8.ko, ...) so no VPN or CIFS access.
                              * Contacts/Peoples sync is not working (GoogleContactsSyncAdapter.apk or something else is missing!)
                              * No MS Exchange support for email (Exchange2.apk?)
                              * Bookmarks sync is not working for the stock browser
                              * Calendar app is in /system/priv-app/ but not visible on the apps menu (but you can install it from google play and it'll sync!)
                              * Impossible to mount /system in R/W from Root Explorer even after I manually rooted the device.
                              * Some English text when you select French language.
                              * Chinese text in 'Language & imput' but it's a chinese app that you can remove!
                              and maybe more!

B. After that, I installed Pipo_M9_Max_RileyROM_2.6

* Unchecked 2.10 Bootloader since it was already installed!
                              * Erased IDB OK (8192 instead of 4096 in 4.2.2 if I remember well?)
                              * Rebooted into Recovery -> Partitions format
                              * Rebooted once again and Black screen -> Impossible to switch on!

---> Reset+Start+ESC to enter in 'RK Loader Mode'

C. Started again with a 2GB userdata since it's the same than the original beta firmware!
                              ---> Same problems!

D. Installed again the official 4.4.2beta firmware -> Everything was fine once again!

E. Installed again RRom 2.6 like in point 'B'

---> same result than in 'B' and 'C'

F. I checked what was different between the offical 4.4.2 extracted files and the RR 2.6 ones!
                              I Flashed kernel.img and boot.img one by one and the problem seems to be in 'kernel.img'
                              If I use the one from the RR26, the screen will not switch on after installation! (btw, this seem to works on some Pipo M9 Max revisions!)
                              So I changed the RR26 kernel.img with the one from the 'update_DS1006_4.4_20140604' package and the RR26 Loaded fine!

---> THIS IS ONLY IF YOU CAN INSTALL THE OFFICIAL FIRMWARE BUT NOT THE 2.6 RileyROM!!!
                              ---> THIS IS ONLY IF YOU CAN INSTALL THE OFFICIAL FIRMWARE BUT NOT THE 2.6 RileyROM!!!

G. Since I like testing things I Downgraded to 2.5.3 using :

---> Don't forget to check the '1.24 Loader' when you go back to 4.2.2

-----
                              So, here are the steps necessary to prevent you from bricking your tablet when going back to Jellybean from KitKat:

1) Run the flash tool on the 4.4.2 ROM (KitKat)
                              2) Erase NAND.
                              3) Close the KitKat Flash Tool and now run the Flash Tool from the 4.2.2 (Jellybean) or 4.1 whatever ROM.
                              4) DO NOT erase NAND again. Just flash.
                              -----

---> Everything worked fine!

H. From 2.5.3, I installed RileyROM 2.6 without changing the kernel!
                              ---> Again unable to switch on the tablet so I downgraded again to 2.5.3 like in 'G'
                              ---> This time I had to use the latest official FW 'update#117_DS1006_PIPO_1.0.13_3G_NOMMS_20140213.i mg' because it was not possible to flash any custom firmware!
                              ---> It was possible to Erase IDB but after the 'RK Loader Mode' disapeared (had to reboot my pc x times!)

I. Installed a RileyROM 2.6 and replaced the 2.6 kernel with the official 4.4.2 Kernel.

Once again it worked fine.
                              So for my device, if I want to upgrade from 4.2.2 to RileyROM 2.6, I have to replace 'kernel.img' from RR2.6 by the one from the official 4.4.2 beta firmware
                              I attached the file (or added a link! I dont know if I can attach a .img file) to the original kernel 3.0.36+ #40 June 3rd 2014.
                              MD5: cbb5c357b9f049c2736dbe5fdea81b5d *kernel.img
                              SHA1: f36fefe719ea5f09d398ffd71bf88e1ce07cc49e *kernel.md5

Maybe this will help some of you able to install the official beta but not the RR2.6.

Btw, Kernel.img from 2.6RR is not the same than the one from the official beta (What was changed in this file?)

Like I said in 'A' there are problems, tomorrow I will test things and post a zip file with things I can fix.

and like @rileypm said:

Warning!!!!!!!!!!!!

This ROM is only for the M9 tablets with 2 NAND chips installed. Don't ask me how you can tell...outside of opening the case to look. Therefore I would not advise flashing this ROM if you don't know. Doing so WILL BRICK YOUR TABLET!!!!!!!! I'm trying to get more information. Rather than taking the link down, I'm leaving it up for those of you who have a tablet it will work on.

If you brick your tablet read this thread:

This is the first KitKat ROM for the M9 Max. NOT M9 PRO!!!!!!

If you don't have experience flashing KitKat ROM's, then you MUST read the stickies in the main Pipo Forum.

Attached Files
                              Last edited by SirHastur; 06-11-2014, 22:59. Reason: Attached files are not there!

Comment

Here is a fix for the 2.6.1 RileyROM (Normaly, this patch will also works on the 4.4.2 Official beta firmware if you have a TWRP/CWM installed!)

How to install it?
                                Copy the zip file on your SDCARD/External card
                                -> If you use TWRP -> reboot in recovery mode -> Install -> Find the file -> Swipe to confirm flash!

What was changed?

- You can sync your contacts (Working)
                                - You can sync your Google chrome bookmarks from the stock android browser (Working)
                                - You can sync your music search (Working)
                                - Replaced the 4.2.1 email apk with a 4.4.2 and updated the exchange apk (normally everything works now but I can't test it now because it's near 4:30AM here and my only Exchange connection is at work!)(Need report for this one btw!)
                                - Added 'nls_utf8.ko' in /system/lib/modules (accented language (French, German and maybe more!)) -> need to be loaded using insmod in a init.d script or by using 'Android Terminal Emulator'. (Working)
                                - Added 15 keylayout files for gamepads, controllers, mouse, etc... (Working)

+++
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X