Nexbook AMlogic root WORK!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lv128 View Post
    Wow, I guess a lot happened in 2 days or so.
    I guess now with basically everyone having root, I don't have much to add.
    Our customer already picked up their tablet, and to answer your question eegorr, we charge $15 for rooting android devices, I didn't know this one would be such a PITA compared to every other device out there.
    Sort of took a loss on that one since we had to buy the modem, but now I have one in case I need one for my own tablet

And no permissions changes were necessary, I did get chrome running without any hitch, and installed angry birds, both run as well as expected.
    With that particular gapps package, I just moved all the files into the system folder where they go, and didn't do anything with that one script folder.

I don't know how much tinkering you did during the process of the attempted root, but I did a factory reset on the tablet before I started. Did you have problems getting the play store running?

I did notice the play store immediately FCs if there are no google accounts created though. Normally it should ask you to add an existing one or create a new one, it doesn't, just FC.

What gapps package / version did you use? The two I've tried for 4.0.4 ICS both resulted in Chrome and Gmail force closes but everything else works so far with the exception of the play store thinking I'm in China...

Comment

Puzzling! I got home and booted up the nextbook to dig into the play store locality issue and it seems to be resolved! The only thing I can think of that would have fixed it is that last night I enabled the GPS in build.prop. This also seems to have fixed Gmail after reinstalling from the play store although Chrome still force closes. Eegor, try changing the "gps.enable= false" line about halfway down the list in your build.prop file in /system over to "true" and reboot, then turn on the 3 location services settings in the settings menu. Clear cache / data on the play store to be safe and see if that resolves your play store problems.

Comment

No luck with the internet dongles. I tried one from Clear, which said it was android compatible, but it's not recognized. I got a hold of a Verizon 3 g dongle, but my mother-in-law just cancelled her service, so the dongle won't start an internet connection. Blah.

Comment

Originally posted by ozymandiaz View Post
          What gapps package / version did you use? The two I've tried for 4.0.4 ICS both resulted in Chrome and Gmail force closes but everything else works so far with the exception of the play store thinking I'm in China...

I used the one I linked in my previous post, it's the latest on on GOO excluding the one that had some facial unlock feature.
          Play knew I was in US, and I didn't have to make any edits to the prop files.
          Strange behavior, Did you previously do a factory restore like I did? Maybe some tabs escaped with slightly different config files. I'm not sure.

Comment

If anyone has the nextp712(shoot or any other model for that matter) amlogic version with Android 4.0.4 Please open chrome, click on the overflow menu and try to get into the chrome settings. If you have a force close please report this to nextbook. If this gets hammered to nextbook it will also force them to release an update.

Comment

Humble request for Clarification of Instructions to Install Play Store on next8p12

Hello, . I really appreciate everyone's help. I am attempting to put Google play store on my rooted next8p12 and I am confused. If I can't figure it out, I'll be back.
              Last edited by kinggrog; 01-17-2013, 11:53.

Comment

I DID however find a tag disabling the GPS, I edited that to "gps enable = true" instead of false and as far as I can tell got MUCH better positioning on Google maps and earth. Looks like we just may have a GPS in this gadget although eFun specifically disabled it in build.prop if there is one.
                I tried this, too, but I don't think there is a GPS receiver. I downloaded and installed a GPS app and it told me that the GPS was off, even though it was enabled in Settings.
                Nextbook Premium 8 SE (Next8P12) - * ROOTED * (Sold on ****)
                AML8726-M3 Cortex A9 @ 1GHz

Nextbook Premium 8 HD (N0008HD8G) - * ROOTED *

Nextbook 8 (NX785QC8G) - STOCK (unfortunately)

Comment

Originally posted by lv128 View Post
                  Wow, I guess a lot happened in 2 days or so.
                  I guess now with basically everyone having root, I don't have much to add.
                  Our customer already picked up their tablet, and to answer your question eegorr, we charge $15 for rooting android devices, I didn't know this one would be such a PITA compared to every other device out there.
                  Sort of took a loss on that one since we had to buy the modem, but now I have one in case I need one for my own tablet

And no permissions changes were necessary, I did get chrome running without any hitch, and installed angry birds, both run as well as expected.
                  With that particular gapps package, I just moved all the files into the system folder where they go, and didn't do anything with that one script folder.

I don't know how much tinkering you did during the process of the attempted root, but I did a factory reset on the tablet before I started. Did you have problems getting the play store running?

I did notice the play store immediately FCs if there are no google accounts created though. Normally it should ask you to add an existing one or create a new one, it doesn't, just FC.
                  Sorry about that! Guess it was a learning experience for all of us!

I had no problem with Angry Birds but Chrome won't run. Which version of Chrome did you install? I'm thinking of looking around for an older version to see if it will run.

I haven't installed Google Play yet - just chicken, I guess. Either that or lazy! I need to back some stuff up before I do a factory reset.

How did you get Google Play running if it stops before you can even log in to your account?

Thanks for getting back to us here.

Comment

finally.

got mine rooted. (next7p12-8g, sn yfg11121XXXXX)

next thing im working on is turning this tablet into a phablet.
                    anyone interested in helping me add sms and call capabilities.

Comment

Puzzling! I got home and booted up the nextbook to dig into the play store locality issue and it seems to be resolved! The only thing I can think of that would have fixed it is that last night I enabled the GPS in build.prop. This also seems to have fixed Gmail after reinstalling from the play store although Chrome still force closes. Eegor, try changing the "gps.enable= false" line about halfway down the list in your build.prop file in /system over to "true" and reboot, then turn on the 3 location services settings in the settings menu. Clear cache / data on the play store to be safe and see if that resolves your play store problems.
                      I tried this but I don't think it worked (see my previous post). I only had two settings under location services when the GPS was enabled, not three. And it really seemed to slow down the device when it was booting, like it was timing out waiting for the missing GPS hardware to be found.

I'm pretty sure that GPS requires a different chip, but even if it was included in the AMLogic chipset it would require an antenna (which is probably missing) to be at all functional - I didn't see one in any of the pictures, did you?

Maybe your location is working now because you enabled "Google's location service" (Location determined by Wi-Fi) - did you have this selected previously?

Comment

Originally posted by Ae3nerdgod View Post

How did you root yours, with a 3G dongle?

How can you make phone calls with a tablet?

Comment

Originally posted by eegorr View Post
                          How can you make phone calls with a tablet?
                          Setup google voice account in your google and get a APP called talkatone! You now can get and recieve calls in the USA. There is also another way but it is a bit more complicated.

Bob
                          "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
                          "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
                          "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
                          "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
                          "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
                          "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
                          "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
                          "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
                          "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Comment

Most likely there's no functional GPS, it just seems to make the location service work a lot faster and the play store only reflected a non-china location when I made that update.

Comment

Originally posted by Ae3nerdgod View Post

Grrrrr. I'm frustrated that I haven't gotten my next7p12-8g, sn yfg11121XXXXX rooted yet.

How'd you do it? With the 3g dongle? Can you dump your rom? Maybe once you dump it, Finless can cook up a rooted version I can flash onto mine. I'm not having much luck tracking down a working 3g dongle.

Comment

Originally posted by Finless View Post
                                Setup google voice account in your google and get a APP called talkatone! You now can get and recieve calls in the USA. There is also another way but it is a bit more complicated.

Bob
                                Just set this up on my old Droid. Works awesome!

Comment

Working...
                                X