No announcement yet.

Nexbook AMlogic root WORK!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gonna try Virgin Mobile modem instead (17 bucks both modem and cable)

Originally posted by sabasc3 View Post
    I have three Nextbooks Next7p12-8G SN YFG111287... just begging to be rooted!

Any other combos people want to post for reference?
    I decided to lower my risk, and get a modem with more and better ratings on Amazon.

Also switched to a straight micro USB connector OTG cable so I won't have to worry about it interfering with neighboring ports or pointing "up" as I think I saw mentioned by others here about their cables.
    Last edited by sabasc3; 07-23-2013, 04:36. Reason: oops forgot to link to the cable.
    Two Nextbook NEXT7P12-8G tablets, freed from the Borg Collective!

Comment

Here is an update for everyone about what I am working on.

Unfortunately, my plan for flash installing a root update.zip with stock recovery failed.

But here is the good news... I have created modified recoveries for the "Black Friday @ Big Lots" Amlogic Next8P12 and the "$99 Walmart" Amlogic Next8HD8G. These have been tested and work on my tablets.

You're all going to have to wait a little longer though... before I release these, I am going to make some additional changes to the recoveries and repackage them as complete roms. I'm learning as I go here, but I'm learning fast. I suspect it will be a few days at most for additional research, modifying the files and testing everything.

In the meantime, please advise if you have any suggestions or requests regarding what to include the rom.

Also, I'd love to provide a rom for the $69 Walmart Amlogic NEXT7P12-8G, but someone who has already rooted theirs is going to have to provide a romdump. I would suggest using Online Nandroid Backup from the play store to dump the entire nand contents.

ShaunMT
      Freaktab Rom Developer

Subscribe To My Developer Thread For Updates On My Projects: ShaunMT

https://www.paypalobjects.com/en_US/..._donate_SM.gif

Comment

nandroid for Next7P12-8G

Originally posted by shaunmt View Post
        Also, I'd love to provide a rom for the $69 Walmart Amlogic NEXT7P12-8G, but someone who has already rooted theirs is going to have to provide a romdump. I would suggest using Online Nandroid Backup from the play store to dump the entire nand contents.
        ShaunMT
        Hi ShaunMT thanks for the update.
        I will be happy to run the nandroid app once my tablet is rooted. The modem and cable both shipped and I expect them by early next week.

Comment

FYI another one willing to take the risk

I own the 69 bucks tablet sold at Walmart. And I can't wait to be able to root to remove some bloatware and give it a little more juice. Lol

Comment

Amlogic Nextbook Root and Rom Development

Everyone...

Work is still progressing on my modified recoveries, flashable root packages, and roms for the Amlogic Nextbook series. I'm sorry it is taking so long, but I'm still learning as I go and I've been busy with work projects and family life recently.

I promise the wait will be worth it for those of you are not yet rooted, need a stock rom, or want a custom rom!

ShaunMT
            Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Another one gets the ROOT!

I promise the wait will be worth it for those of you are not yet rooted, need a stock rom, or want a custom rom!
              ShaunMT
              Hey ShaunMT do you still need a NAND image from a stock NEXT7P12-8G?
              If so, W !!!

I finally rooted mine and will try your suggestion for getting "Online Nandroid Backup" from the play store ASAP and can send you the output. If it's too large I will post it and let you know where it is.

For those still trying to reach rootvana, I will post the details of my modem and my (briefly) bricked phone , result during the process getting the tablet rooted. A huge thanks to Eegorr for the step-by-step instructions, they were invaluable! And of course a big kudos to Finless, Ozymandiaz and countless unsung heros!

Comment

Hey ShaunMT do you still need a NAND image from a stock NEXT7P12-8G?
                If so, W !!!

I finally rooted mine and will try your suggestion for getting "Online Nandroid Backup" from the play store ASAP and can send you the output. If it's too large I will post it and let you know where it is.

For those still trying to reach rootvana, I will post the details of my modem and my (briefly) bricked phone , result during the process getting the tablet rooted. A huge thanks to Eegorr for the step-by-step instructions, they were invaluable! And of course a big kudos to Finless, Ozymandiaz and countless unsung heros!
                Yes, I can't do anything for the NEXT7P12-8G until I get a stock recovery. I may need some additional partition dumps via terminal or adb later, in order to put together a full rom. I'm not yet sure if I can assemble everything from the online nandroid style backup alone, but I can easily get the recovery and the system folder from it.

ShaunMT
                Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

NEXTP712-8G rooted with Huawei E173 and SmartTalk SIM card (caution!)

Also switched to a straight micro USB connector OTG cable so I won't have to worry about it interfering with neighboring ports or pointing "up" as I think I saw mentioned by others here about their cables.
                  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A1EOF6MJNHYDQN
                  A little info about the modem I couldn't get to work:
                  In case others have ideas about this modem, it's a shame (at only $9) that the modem linked to above, a Novatel Wireless Ovation MC760, wouldn't show up on the tablet. Perhaps due in part to the inability to stop it from presenting its virtual CD-ROM? I put a $10, 10 day data plan on it and Windows 7 happily went online using the supplied software. I used device manager to view the modem properties (advanced) and discovered the COM port (e.g. COM5). I connected to it using puTTY and tried a bunch of AT commands to attempt to disable its CD-ROM feature. No luck. That same process worked fine with the Huawei E173 modem though, and may have helped with the su and superuser.apk injection.

The Huawei E173 worked! The cable linked to above worked great too.
                  Note, the E173 and the E220 are listed at this site which offers helpful pics of what to expect with 3G modems with Android: http://it-depot.net/pages/3G_Setup
                  For us Nextbook users, the key is the wireless signal bars showing that the modem has negotiated a working connection to the tower for a valid cell phone subscriber, which allows us to trigger our helpful root kit installer (oops, did I say that? I mean PPP session handler) init-pppd.sh script.

FYI I got my E173 here for $33 with shipping. http://www.amazon.com/Huawei-E173-Un...pr_product_top

Ok so a word of caution about the SIM card! My StraightTalk phone and card are married, and, presumably as soon as the modem (with my SIM card in it) negotiated with the tower, StraightTalk locked the SIM. A really unpleasant surprise when I went to use my phone after putting the SIM back and got "Emergency calls only!" response to attempting to place a call.

Fortunately StraightTalk was able to electronically lift the lock and get my phone going within minutes, however if you have one of these SIMs, I suggest talking to a StraightTalk rep about their "bring your phone" SIM card. The support rep I spoke to prior to that told me I'd be waiting a week for another SIM to be mailed to me.
                  Yikes!!
                  Fortunately the guy talking to me about the bring your phone SIM card offer was able to reset my SIM during my call to him.
                  That SIM by the way is $15 but you need to pay 50 bucks for an airtime card to put it to use.
                  I think the key here may be to use a SIM that is not married to a particular carrier or wireless plan.
                  Attached Files

Comment

I'll get to work on it

Yes, I can't do anything for the NEXT7P12-8G until I get a stock recovery. I may need some additional partition dumps via terminal or adb later, in order to put together a full rom. I'm not yet sure if I can assemble everything from the online nandroid style backup alone, but I can easily get the recovery and the system folder from it.
                    ShaunMT
                    Ok sure. I already installed a terminal emulator on the tablet, and have adb installed on my windows box, so I can hopefully get you everything you need.

Comment

Just rooted my 7in netbook in 2 minutes

On my Mac, I installed ADB using this link

plugged my device in, and then downloaded this program

and it rooted my tablet. I then just had to install SuperSu from the store.

Comment

ShaunMT
                        right now i'd be happy just to get a stock rom to do a recovery, my son managed to completely blank his 7p12-8g and all it will do is boot to recovery mode. can you post the stock rom when you get a chance to package it?

Comment

Originally posted by jusbla12345 View Post

I just rooted my Next7p12-8g with this method using a windows version of the same tool, now I just need grab the stock rom for you guys so we can get a recovery/custom rom going.

UPDATE: Now got Busybox and ONline Nandroid Backup on here as well as Terminal Emulator. Plus now with Hide Bottom Bar that I bought, I can play FF Dimensions without running into black screen issues. Yay!

Will let you know when I get my recovery and other stuff dumped off.
                          Last edited by RosaFang; 08-03-2013, 22:51.
                          NEXTBOOK NX700QC16G Rooted with updated firmware to allow 13GB App Space

Comment

Finally!!!

Confirmed working root with this method! Now to tear through this tablet and customize.

Comment

I can validate that it works...

I can validate that it works (Rooted Next7P128G)...
                              I recommend installing SuperSU from the Google Play store as it updates the SU binary to a newer version and allows logging/permissions...

Thanks for the quick root, much better then the 3G dongle method...

Comment

Custom Recovery Please Good Sir

ShaunMT
                                I would love it if you could upload the custom recoveries you have. It's all I need to fix my bricked tablet (NX008HD8G Wal Mart). So I can Nandroid my wife's same model and restore it to mine that's stuck in bootloop. Then I can help you with anything you need for building the custom ROM. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                X