Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A95X Max TV Box - Amlogic S905X2 A8.1 4/64 ROM Dual WiFi Gig Lan BT4.2 + Support 2.5inch SSD / HDD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bajann View Post
    This version is for v81 or older PCB?
    atvX v3A for A95XMAX PCB v10.rar
    atvX v3A for A95XMAX PCB v81.zip

Comment

Leoben, Installed v3a on my v81 A95X MAX and it looks promising. v3b should have more of the features I am looking for. Thanks for the heads up on this ROM..
      Nvidia Shield (2017 & 2019), A95x Max, WD EX2 NAS

Comment

Originally posted by Leoben View Post

atvX v3A for A95XMAX PCB v10.rar
        atvX v3A for A95XMAX PCB v81.zip

https://download.atvxperience.com/?d...2%2FA95X%20MAX
        I gave this a shot and it loaded as described without difficulty.

However, the ROM is extremely limiting. One doesn't know what AndroidTV is until one is crammed into the restrictions it provides. Even the version of Play Store was limited, you might say "crippled" or even "brain dead".

I found even data entry extremely peculiar. Sometimes I could use the keyboard, but sometimes the enter key didn't work. Sometimes the telecommand worked but other times no. The mouse worked in some circumstances and not others. The provided launcher is just as bad as the stock launcher for the A95X MAX.

Installing the ROM it seems did a factory reset, so anything useful I had on internal storage was gone. In fact, I totally lost control of internal story with an access denied.

Fortunately I had a copy of the stock firmware 20190109 and restored it using the same method for installing the aTVxperience ROM.

The USB cable does work for flashing the device. You just need to know how to use the AMLogic flashing tool, then plug the cable in at the right time. (If you've looked at the aTVxperience instruction vid for the A95X MAX, it explains the process well.)

The big problem with the A95X MAX as explained by N'ayam Amersh'e who was a creator of the aTVxperience ROM is that the bootloader is encrypted, making changes of the firmware system difficult. I can't even seem to be able to load Magisk which needs to rewrite the bootloader, but can't.

Ideally, I'd like to be able to run LineageOS on this box, which is what the operating system should be like, free of the restrictions manufacturer love.
        Last edited by doktorspon; 06-13-2019, 14:18.

Comment

Originally posted by doktorspon View Post
          I gave this a shot and it loaded as described without difficulty.

However, the ROM is extremely limiting. One doesn't know what AndroidTV is until one is crammed into the restrictions it provides. Even the version of Play Store was limited, you might say "crippled" or even "brain dead".

I found even data entry extremely perculiar. Sometimes I could use the keyboard, but sometimes the enter key didn't work. Sometimes the telecommand worked but other times no. The mouse worked in some circumstances and not others. The provided launcher is just as bad as the stock launcher for the A95X MAX.

Installing the ROM it seems did a factory reset, so anything useful I had on internal storage was gone. In fact, I totally lost control of internal story with an access denied.

Fortunately I had a copy of the stock firmware 20190109 and restored it using the same method for installing the aTVxperience ROM.

The USB cable does work for flashing the device. You just need to know how to use the AMLogic flashing tool, then plug the cable in at the right time. (If you've looked at the aTVxperience instruction vid for the A95X MAX, it explains the process well.)

The big problem with the A95X MAX as explained by N'ayam Amersh'e who was a creator of the aTVxperience ROM is that the bootloader is encrypted, making changes of the firmware system difficult. I can't even seem to be able to load Magisk which needs to rewrite the bootloader, but can't.

Ideally, I'd like to be able to run LineageOS on this box, which is what the operating system should be like, free of the restrictions manufacturer love.
          Thanks for the review, I'll wait until a decent rom is available.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn LYA-L29 met Tapatalk

Comment

doktorspon. I too would like to see LinageOS on this box. I am running LOS 15 on my Shield Tablet K1 and gave it new life after vVidia stopped providing updates. Where did you get the stock ROM from? The one Geekbuying points to is corrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by cjeman View Post
              doktorspon. I too would like to see LinageOS on this box. I am running LOS 15 on my Shield Tablet K1 and gave it new life after vVidia stopped providing updates. Where did you get the stock ROM from? The one Geekbuying points to is corrupt.
              For the stock ROM A95X_MAX_6356_20190109_secure.rar, there's a YouTube video that describes how to unbrick the A95X MAX here:

• A95X Max S905X2 4GB RAM 64GB ROM 1000M LAN 2.4G 5G WIFI Bluetooth 4.2 Android 8.1 4K USB3.0 H.265 VP9 TV Box Mini PC Support SATA 2.5 Inch HDD Video Record...

The link for the ROM is shown at the top:

https://drive.google.com/uc?id=1QfQU...xport=download

Size is 656mb and Google says it's too big to be scanned, but the .rar contains just two files, the ROM image and a license file. You'll need to use the Amlogic Burning ROM program, the latest version here (called "Amlogic Tools):

https://download.atvxperience.com/

(If you haven't used the Burning Tool, watch the aTVxperience video from 4:04:

A95X Max atvXperience Custom ROM Upgrade - https://wp.me/p7Izmk-1meDownload ROM & Burn tool - https://mega.nz/#F!HngVWagL!58O2ws7KUZDXj7Cyt9uLBwDeveloper Na...

Assuming you've run the Tool setup (see from 2:50), this will tell you

1) about the license folder in which you'll need to place the license file for the stock firmware.
              2) how to set up the Tool, &
              3) how to flash the firmware

)
              Last edited by doktorspon; 06-14-2019, 02:03.

Comment

Originally posted by doktorspon View Post
                I installed the aTVxExperiece ROM as well. Initially, I found it frustrating. The Android TV OS is somewhat limiting at first, but as you use it, it becomes clear that Google wanted something more TV and media friendly. Apps made to work on Android TV work perfectly with the remote's up, down, left, and right buttons, unlike regular Android apps which make you grab your mouse and try to scroll awkwardly. The key here is to use apps designed for TV boxes as they use the features of the OS. Yes, the Play Store is crippled, but only because it presents apps that work well on a TV Box. You can side-load regular Android apps which is a bit of a pain, so just install your favorite alternate appstore instead. I thought the launcher sucked at first, but again I see where Google was going with it, and it's not that bad. It's a media box, not a phone, tablet, or PC. Stick with it a bit before you write it off. I found myself actually using apps like Pluto TV because now they work with a remote. I grab my keyboard a lot less, and that's a good thing.

Good job on the ROM. If we can get casting to work, that would be my only big request.

Comment

Doctorspon..Thanks for the link. I just got a new NUC and I did not install 7 Zip. Both .rar work and I am back to stock. V3B of ATVxExperience is suppose to have NTFS support. I'll dabble with it then for my NAS testing.

ZilogZ80: I have 2 nVidia Shields and find them to be great machines but with a limited Playstore, I wind up sideloading a bunch of apps. Leanback Launcher does not see them so I have to use HALauncher. A lot of compromises with ATV. However, once up and running, apps like Kodi, run extremely well. I would like to see a switch in Settings that would allow ATV or full Android. A dual boot kind of thing. A Virtual Machine with 2 android operating systems. Current hardware could probably not support this. I have a PIPO X7 that boots into WIN10 or Android 4.4. No longer supported and used an Atom chip.

Comment

....I wind up sideloading a bunch of apps. Leanback Launcher does not see them so I have to use HALauncher. A lot of compromises with ATV.
                    Doesn't the included atvXperience AppDrawer give you full access to all your Apps??? I understand people wanting to have all the app icons on their homepage, but that is mainly an App developer issue, write your favorite App Devs and tell them to add support for icons and launching in AndroidTV environment inside their apps. Most app developers never think about making their app cross compatible with ATV and are more worried about mobile crowd until you tell them their app works great on ATV as well.

I would like to see a switch in Settings that would allow ATV or full Android.
                    That is pipe dream and won't happen. Install Aurora Store, spoof device to Samsung Tab in Aurora settings, to get any Mobile Apps you want from Google Play. Also try the new Sentio Desktop app, is a Launcher to have PC like desktop, I leave it installed as just an app, not making default launcher, so when you want to multi-task just open and run on top of ATV.

Comment

RiCkLaR_atvX: I am looking at this box as a an inexpensive NAS. Launcher is really a non-issue, as such. I was just commenting on my experiences with nVidia's Shield. I did install v3a of atvX and it is an improvement over the stock ROM. I use MacroDroid to re-launch HAL on my Shield's whenever Leanback kicks in. Not pretty but works.

Comment

RiCkLaR_atvX: I am looking at this box as a an inexpensive NAS. Launcher is really a non-issue, as such. I was just commenting on my experiences with nVidia's Shield. I did install v3a of atvX and it is an improvement over the stock ROM. I use MacroDroid to re-launch HAL on my Shield's whenever Leanback kicks in. Not pretty but works.
                        You can use stock A95X MAX + Sambadroid to run it as a NAS box. If you need a push, watch this YouTube video. I'm running a Kingston SSD via ethernet using Sambadroid without any trouble.

Comment

doktorspon. I do have SambaDroid up and running. My difficulty is that the SSD is defined as NTSF and shows 0 bytes for files over 4GB when copied from another source. Adding an existing NTFS drive with 4GB or more videos shows nonsensical sizes when another devices accesses the A95XNAS. Not a workable NAS without NTSF. exFat is not recognized at all by the box. I am in no hurry, I can wait for either stock or home grown ROM that can give these capabilities to the box.
                          Last edited by cjeman; 06-18-2019, 02:29.

Comment

Originally posted by kanzi View Post
                            #Super SU - Super Issue
                            Super SU bricked my box. after updating binaries and rebooting, I've got now the A95X logo and nothing else
                            Same problem here.

Did u manage 2 unbrick it?

What was the cause of the issue so that even partition reformatting didn't work?
                            Is it like the actual firmware and recovery don't match?

Comment

Originally posted by nskmda View Post

Same problem here.

Did u manage 2 unbrick it?

What was the cause of the issue so that even partition reformatting didn't work?
                              Is it like the actual firmware and recovery don't match?
                              Have you tried to replace the firmware? Perhaps check out this video. It'll show you how to flash back to stock, using Amlogic's Burning Tool.

(You'll also need a USB male-to-male cable to connect your PC to the A95X MAX.)

Comment

doktorspon. I do have SambaDroid up and running. My difficulty is that the SSD is defined as NTSF and shows 0 bytes for files over 4GB when copied from another source. Adding an existing NTFS drive with 4GB or more videos shows nonsensical sizes when another devices accesses the A95XNAS. Not a workable NAS without NTSF. exFat is not recognized at all by the box. I am in no hurry, I can wait for either stock or home grown ROM that can give these capabilities to the box.
                                This is a bit out of my expertise, as I've never used files that big. I haven't paid attention to file systems much at all. I just plonked my Kingston SSD into the bay, Android recognized it, and I told it to treat the SSD as an external drive. That's all I did. Don't know what the SSD's native file system is, but Android knows. Anyway, if there were a problem with NTFS we would have heard about it years ago, as it's the basic file system for Windows now. So, there must be some incompatibility with the way Android implemented NTFS regarding big files. But it's all arcane to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X