X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

using dd to flash CWM

Originally posted by leolas View Post
    I use a plugged standard usb keyboard and it works great, maybe some wiresless keyboards don work.
    thanks leolas!

I wonder if it is a proper way to flash CWM like below (all commands are executed on linux PC):
    $ unzip x7-cwm-recovery.zip
    $ adb connect <android device IP>
    $ adb push x7-cwm-recovery.img /sdcard/
    $ adb shell dd if=/sdcard/x7-cwm-recovery.img of=/dev/mtd/mtd3
    <wait util the command above is finished>

$ adb reboot recovery

Such method looks easier since it doesn't require device to be rooted.
    So should that method work?

Comment

Re: cwm recovery for rk3188

Originally posted by knawnd View Post
      thanks leolas!

I wonder if it is a proper way to flash CWM like below (all commands are executed on linux PC):
      $ adb connect

$ adb reboot recovery

Such method looks easier since it doesn't require device to be rooted.
      So should that method work?
      You can use this way too, but I think that:

It has something wrong, /dev/mtd/mtd3, I am not sure, but I think that you need to put there the block device name.

But anyway test it and tell us the results

leolas.
      REMEMBER, YOUR FEEDBACK IS VERY IMPORTANT TO US.
      My devices:
      Minix Neo X7; Minix Neo X8-H , Minix Neo Z64W & Z64 (Sponsored by Minix)
      MK902 & MK902II(Sponsored by RKM)
      Beelink M8B & Beelink R89 (Sponsored by Beelink)
      Tronsmart VEGA S89H (Sponsored by
      Gearbest.com)
      MELE-PCG03 (Sponsored by Gearbest.com) Discount Coupon:MPCG03
      Ainol Intel Z3735 MiniPC(Sponsored by Gearbest.com)
      Thanks to them I can try to support your devices http://freaktab.com/core/images/smilies/wink.png

Comment

Originally posted by Franb94 View Post
        Is it possible that it is displaying in 1080 and your TV does not support it?
        If your TV only does 720 you will get a blank screen with some of Finless as he presets 1080.
        Not sure if it helps but I hope it does.
        Thanks for the idea, but my TV does support 1080. Once I got cwm installed by method 1, I didn't go back to see if I could ever get method 2 to work. Maybe soon! Again, thanks for your input.

Comment

Originally posted by sga000 View Post
          Thanks for the idea, but my TV does support 1080. Once I got cwm installed by method 1, I didn't go back to see if I could ever get method 2 to work. Maybe soon! Again, thanks for your input.
          i have also the same problem with sga000. i am on finless 1,6 neo x7 rom, i have installed recovery but all i get is a black screen when i reboot to recovery. i tried both methods, the result is the same.

i dont know if its related, but since i am on finless 1.6, i see a black screen also when i reboot(i dont see the boot img). after waiting some time for the device to boot up, i can "wake it up" by pressing a button on the keyboard navigational keys 3 times.
          i tried the same trick with the recovery but it dint work, all i got after a long waiting time and pressing the three buttons is the android desktop enviroment.

Comment

Re: cwm recovery for rk3188

Originally posted by meddem View Post
            i have also the same problem with sga000. i am on finless 1,6 neo x7 rom, i have installed recovery but all i get is a black screen when i reboot to recovery. i tried both methods, the result is the same.

i dont know if its related, but since i am on finless 1.6, i see a black screen also when i reboot(i dont see the boot img). after waiting some time for the device to boot up, i can "wake it up" by pressing a button on the keyboard navigational keys 3 times.
            i tried the same trick with the recovery but it dint work, all i got after a long waiting time and pressing the three buttons is the android desktop enviroment.
            I dont have the x7.This problem is really strange, seems like a problem with misc.img, can it be?

leolas.
            My devices:
            Gearbest.com)
            Thanks to them I can try to support your devices http://freaktab.com/core/images/smilies/wink.png

Comment

I don't know. As I remember I didn't have this problem with older Roms. I mean the reboot stuff. I didn't try the cwm with older ROM. If your theory is correct, can I flash the misc partition from finless 1.5 over my ROM or will it brake anything?

Thanks for the reply

Comment

rikimagic 802iv

Hi, i know your a busy man but is there any chance you could work your magic on a cwm for rikomagic 802iv
                MK802IV FW(131107):S/N from 201307**** till now

Shenzhen Rikomagic Tech Corp.,Ltd-----Android TV BOX, Media player, Digital Signage Media Player,signage player

Thanks

Comment

I don't know. As I remember I didn't have this problem with older Roms. I mean the reboot stuff. I didn't try the cwm with older ROM. If your theory is correct, can I flash the misc partition from finless 1.5 over my ROM or will it brake anything?

Thanks for the reply
                  You can try, the worst is that you have to flash the stick again But I dont have this device and I cant test this rom.

Originally posted by dave3652 View Post
                  Hi, i know your a busy man but is there any chance you could work your magic on a cwm for rikomagic 802iv
                  MK802IV FW(131107):S/N from 201307**** till now

Shenzhen Rikomagic Tech Corp.,Ltd-----Android TV BOX, Media player, Digital Signage Media Player,signage player

Thanks
                  Ok i will try. But it is not my magioc is fun from androtab magic, I only port his work
                  My devices:
                  Gearbest.com)

Comment

You can try, the worst is that you have to flash the stick again But I dont have this device and I cant test this rom.

Ok i will try. But it is not my magioc is fun from androtab magic, I only port his work
                    Thank you, your a star!

Comment

If it is a newer box it may have something to do with factory flash, even though you wipe it. I have had terrible problems with new factory flash for 808B and would not be surprised if the issue is on other boxes too. Even though I wiped and reflashed, no method of installing CWM worked. The blank screen showed on one TV but the 2 linux penguins showed when connecting to another TV. You likely have the same result here. The only way out was back to the same factory flash used on the stick. I think the parameters, and likely partition sizes, are different and maybe that is the cause. The new flash was dated Oct 10 I believe. Factory is making sure not to use this on my next batch so I just worked around it for now with these. Using the factory flash only for now on these until there is a better option.
                      I have not had time to try to pull the factory flash file but factory sent it to me.

Comment

minix neo x7 is dead?

You can use this way too, but I think that:

It has something wrong, /dev/mtd/mtd3, I am not sure, but I think that you need to put there the block device name.

But anyway test it and tell us the results

leolas.
                        so I tried to flash x7-cwm-recovery by executing commands as below:
                        $ adb connect
                        $ adb shell dd if=/sdcard/x7-cwm-recovery.img of=/dev/block/mtdblock3 bs=4096
                        $ adb reboot recovery

but after I just got black screen.

Since the device was accessible via USB cable I've tried to flash the same recovery image but this time using rkflashkit. As soon as it finished I pressed "reboot device" button in the rkflashkit menu. And since then I wasn't able to boot the device neither in recovery mode (pressing recovery button by paperclip and power button for a few seconds) nor in android. Display doesn't detect any signal from minix x7. There are the following messages in linux PC log file when I try to boot device in recovery mode:
                        kernel: [ 1764.282116] usb 1-5: USB disconnect, device number 5
                        kernel: [ 2526.491077] usb 1-4: new high-speed USB device number 6 using ehci_hcd
                        kernel: [ 2526.605771] usb 1-4: unable to get BOS descriptor
                        kernel: [ 2526.606533] usb 1-4: New USB device found, idVendor=2207, idProduct=310b
                        kernel: [ 2526.606537] usb 1-4: New USB device strings: Mfr=0, Product=0, SerialNumber=0
                        mtp-probe: checking bus 1, device 6: "/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.7/usb1/1-4"
                        mtp-probe: bus: 1, device: 6 was not an MTP device
                        kernel: [ 2533.577150] usb 1-4: USB disconnect, device number 6

It's about 7 seconds between timestamps of two last lines.
                        There is only single line "Loading partition information" in the log rkflashkit windows after pressing recovery and power buttons.
                        There is no blue light from the LED.
                        Could it be bootloader loop? Is there any way to recovery into working state?

Comment

You should still be able to flash factory file and restore to "normal"

Comment

Originally posted by Franb94 View Post
                            You should still be able to flash factory file and restore to "normal"
                            Franb94, thanks for quick reply! But how can I do that if device seems become invisible for PC and 'adb devices' command produces an empty list.

Comment

Not sure with yours but I was able to connect mine to pc in programming mode by pressing reset button and connecting to pc at the same time. Not sure if this is the method you use or not. Then flashed with factory and all was well.

Comment

new thread for my issue

thanks, Franb94! It seems my issue is different. I created a separate thread to avoid flooding that one.
                                If anyone could help me with my issue I would appreciate that!

Comment

Working...
                                X