Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MECOOL KM8 Google Certified Android TV Box with Voice Remote - S905X Android 8.0 2/16GB VP9 HDR10 Dolby Audio YT 4K

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For those looking for some 1080p Netflix....

​​​​​​Use Kodi Leia, enable Videoplayer Inputstream > Inputstream Adaptive Addon already included in Kodi Leia.

Then install the Kodinerds Repository for the Netflix Addon installation:
    ​​​​​​https://github.com/kodinerds/repo/ra...flix-1.0.1.zip

Further Info here:
    Inputstream based Netflix plugin for Kodi. Contribute to asciidisco/plugin.video.netflix development by creating an account on GitHub.

You will very likely be able to downmix 5.1 DD+ Netflix audio to 5.1 DD only audio using Kodi's internal audio wizardry !

With devices like the Shield, MINIX U9, WeTek Hub/Play2 you also get Netflix / Kodi auto refresh switching.
    Last edited by wrxtasy; 08-29-2018, 13:00.

Comment

Originally posted by FreshYuk View Post
      Hi guys,

I'm interested in buying this thing and I have a couple of questions:

1. Could someone check if the Dazn app work? Or at least if it's in the store and can be installed. It may depend on your country, according to wikipedia it's available in Austria, Germany, Japan, Switzerland, Canada, Italy, US

2. I'm going to need WiFi. Definitely. So, if the signal is so poor as you guys say, is there anything that can be done to improve it? Replacing the external antenna for instance, or even better, getting a USB dongle (I read some of them work with Android boxes, provided they have the right firmware).
      If you need all that why don't you buy the Mi Box?

Comment

Originally posted by zelder View Post

If you need all that why don't you buy the Mi Box?
        Because I want even more! Read: LibreElec. Also, I heard the new Mi Box firmware is fairly buggy...

Comment

Originally posted by wrxtasy View Post
          For those looking for some 1080p Netflix....

​​​​​​Use Kodi Leia, enable Videoplayer Inputstream > Inputstream Adaptive Addon already included in Kodi Leia.

Then install the Kodinerds Repository for the Netflix Addon installation:
          ​​​​​​https://github.com/kodinerds/repo/ra...flix-1.0.1.zip

Further Info here:
          Inputstream based Netflix plugin for Kodi. Contribute to asciidisco/plugin.video.netflix development by creating an account on GitHub.

You will very likely be able to downmix 5.1 DD+ Netflix audio to 5.1 DD only audio using Kodi's internal audio wizardry !

With devices like the Shield, MINIX U9, WeTek Hub/Play2 you also get Netflix / Kodi auto refresh switching.
          Thanks, Wrxtasy, I may give this a try. How does Netflix play on this device? I was using Netflix in 720p on one of my Amlogic S905 and S905X box, but never tried 1080p. On my S912 boxes, Netflix played horrible, this was using CoreELEC on them I do believe.

BTW, Netflix in 1080p does work under Android with the modded Netflix app for touch screens.

Edit: Installed Netflix on this box (KM8) and 720p plays perfectly with DD+, however it is all jerky when set to 1080p. This is using CoreELEC running from a microSD card.
          Last edited by clarkss12; 08-29-2018, 18:29.
          MK818B, T428, ATV 1220, CS918S, TV01, S89H, R89, ADT-1, MK808B Plus, MINIX X8-H Plus, Tronsmart Orion R68

Comment

Originally posted by clarkss12

That file is interesting. It is the same version that is currently installed on my KM8 box. I have never seen an OTA update for this box, so I will ASSUME this is the firmware that came installed from the factory. I have one of the first boxes that they sold.

Thanks, now we have a Zip backup for this device............
            Same thing here.

Comment

Originally posted by Sholander View Post

Hi, please tell me how you installed Libre/CoreElec on this box? Which dtb.img you used, and the Reset Switch is activated through the small hole on the bottom side?
              If you install LibreELEC, you will need to use Wrxtasy's remote.confg. CoreELEC the remote works out of the box. I don't recall which device tree I use for either box. I do recall having to try 3 different device trees for my CoreELEC install. Just pick one from the included device trees and try it, if it doesn't work try another one. I know you know how to create the bootable microSD card. After you create the card, you have to remove it and re-insert into your computer so your Windows explorer can open it to change the dtb.img file.
              MK818B, T428, ATV 1220, CS918S, TV01, S89H, R89, ADT-1, MK808B Plus, MINIX X8-H Plus, Tronsmart Orion R68

Comment

Hi, please tell me how you installed Libre/CoreElec on this box? Which dtb.img you used, and the Reset Switch is activated through the small hole on the bottom side?
                Did you get CoreELEC installed????

Comment

Originally posted by clarkss12 View Post

Thanks, Wrxtasy, I may give this a try. How does Netflix play on this device? I was using Netflix in 720p on one of my Amlogic S905 and S905X box, but never tried 1080p. On my S912 boxes, Netflix played horrible, this was using CoreELEC on them I do believe.
                  With Android KodI Leia running on any device that has legit Widevine L1 DRM in Android Firmware, the Netflix Addon can utilise h264 or h265 hardware decoding and give you 1080p or 4K streaming depending on your Netflix subscription.

I watched a bunch of 1080p Netflix content on the U9 and it was good once I set the Inputstream adaptive decoders, both to Max. Occasionally I had to Skip around a bit to get video to start playing.

The Kodi Android Installer Addon is real handy for easy updating of Kodi Leia:

Comment

With Android KodI Leia running on any device that has legit Widevine L1 DRM in Android Firmware, the Netflix Addon can utilise h264 or h265 hardware decoding and give you 1080p or 4K streaming depending on your Netflix subscription.

I watched a bunch of 1080p Netflix content on the U9 and it was good once I set the Inputstream adaptive decoders, both to Max. Occasionally I had to Skip around a bit to get video to start playing.

The Kodi Android Installer Addon is real handy for easy updating of Kodi Leia:

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=323046
                    I don't know what this means "Netflix Addon can utilise h264 or h265 hardware decoding and give you 1080p or 4K streaming depending on your Netflix subscription.". For testing purposes, my KM8 with Widevine Level 1 HDCP 2.2, will play the unofficial Netflix in 1080p using the Stock Android Oreo. This box is connected to the same 4K TV that runs Netflix in 4k (3840x2160 at 16,000kbps and 10 bpc, 23.976 fps).

But running Netflix under CoreELEC, 1080p is the max it will play, and it is very jerky.

Comment

Not yet. Didn't have time since I'm strugling to get the Android to my liking/needs. I have a big problem, because there is no my country location (Croatia) nor my language (Croatian) on this box, so I can't localise some of my favorite apps... Don't know how to solve that, since all my previous android boxes had my location and language. Sent email to Videostrong, but no reply yet.

Other thing is that my favorite app HBO-GO_EU runs menues in portrate mode, and when the movie should start it turns to (normal) landscape mod, BUT i get DRM error! Don' understand why.., what DRM does it need, since all my "uncertified" boxes with L3 widevine play HBO-Go without complaining.

Another thing, it says the box has OTA update, but I can't find any update possibility on it... How does one update this box ?

Comment

Not yet. Didn't have time since I'm strugling to get the Android to my liking/needs. I have a big problem, because there is no my country location (Croatia) nor my language (Croatian) on this box, so I can't localise some of my favorite apps... Don't know how to solve that, since all my previous android boxes had my location and language. Sent email to Videostrong, but no reply yet.

Other thing is that my favorite app HBO-GO_EU runs menues in portrate mode, and when the movie should start it turns to (normal) landscape mod, BUT i get DRM error! Don' understand why.., what DRM does it need, since all my "uncertified" boxes with L3 widevine play HBO-Go without complaining.
                        Those are questions that I have not had a need for. But, yes, this box needs some more loving.

Comment

Google Play movies play in HD with DD+ on my KM8. The lack of Netflix is the only thing missing for me. The WiFi is horrible, even with the external antenna, but I use Ethernet on all my boxes.
                          I agree the WIFI is really terrible I get around 10-15mb and router is close by almost feel its faulty , on mecool m8s pro I get around 35mb-45mb cant believe newer model is worse and it uses external antenna

Comment

Yes, no problem at all. It runs as expected, although my X92_S912 box is faster and snapier in all respects.

Comment

But running Netflix under CoreELEC, 1080p is the max it will play, and it is very jerky.
                              That is because Linux / LE / CE - Kodi Leia has do do CPU Software decoding of copy protected video content like 720/1080/4K Netflix streams, and for that you need a decent CPU package (Intel is best) and proper GPU drivers. (that is why LE / CE S912's do not work so well).

If you use the Android OS, and Kodi Leia you can utilise Hardware video decoding of copy protected 720/1080/4K Netflix streams because the inbuilt Widevine L1 DRM libraries and the Video Engine can use the Trustzone Security built into the AMLogic Chipset to keep video protected. And even a lowly cheap AMLogic S905W with Widevine L1 DRM can do that.

For the Tech inclined there is an Article on it here:
                              ​​​​​​https://www.cnx-software.com/2016/10...ogic-s905-soc/

Comment

That is because Linux / LE / CE - Kodi Leia has do do CPU Software decoding of copy protected video content like 720/1080/4K Netflix streams, and for that you need a decent CPU package (Intel is best) and proper GPU drivers. (that is why LE / CE S912's do not work so well).

If you use the Android OS, and Kodi Leia you can utilise Hardware video decoding of copy protected 720/1080/4K Netflix streams because the inbuilt Widevine L1 DRM libraries and the Video Engine can use the Trustzone Security built into the AMLogic Chipset to keep video protected. And even a lowly cheap AMLogic S905W with Widevine L1 DRM can do that.

For the Tech inclined there is an Article on it here:
                                ​​​​​​https://www.cnx-software.com/2016/10...ogic-s905-soc/
                                Guess I have a one track mind, I thought you were referring to installing it on CoreELEC. Using your instructions, I got Netflix and the Inputstream adaptive installed, but the videos will not play. It shows the users and Videos, but when I click on one, it won't play the video. Not sure what I am missing. Using a similar method, I installed it on CoreELEC and the video plays. I even rebooted the box, but that did not help.

Any ideas??

Comment

Working...
                                X