UPDATED - CX919 - 4.2.2 - Finless ROM 1.6b

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AW: UPDATED - CX919 - 4.2.2 - Finless ROM 1.6b

Sorry, you are right and the whole ot discussion should be deleted actually... i would have hit the thanx button, if there was one.

Comment

I'm new here...just received my CX-919 yesterday and am preparing to flash this rom.

I'd like to do a backup first, and I found a post by Finless on another thread about how to do this. But it said I need to be rooted first. My stick did not come pre-rooted.

So....I've been looking at that rooting method. But if there is an "easier" way, like a backup of the stock rom that I could use, similar to how the instructions in this README tell us how to do it for the Finless rom, I'd sure like to use that. Does that exist? Sorry if it's staring me in the face and I just don't see it! EDIT: To be a little more clear, I mean I'd rather not do a backup at all...just use some existing stock files to restore.

Also, part of the README for installing drivers talks about turning off USB Debugging, etc. So that means we have to be connected the HDMI with the system booted up, right? And we're connected to the PC at the same time? It's a little awkward for to have it attached to both, just because of positioning of my devices. At some point, can I just be connected to the PC, not the HDMI? Again, apologies for these beginner questions.

Comment

Originally posted by sga000 View Post
        I'm new here...just received my CX-919 yesterday and am preparing to flash this rom.

I'd like to do a backup first, and I found a post by Finless on another thread about how to do this. But it said I need to be rooted first. My stick did not come pre-rooted.

So....I've been looking at that rooting method. But if there is an "easier" way, like a backup of the stock rom that I could use, similar to how the instructions in this README tell us how to do it for the Finless rom, I'd sure like to use that. Does that exist? Sorry if it's staring me in the face and I just don't see it! EDIT: To be a little more clear, I mean I'd rather not do a backup at all...just use some existing stock files to restore.

Also, part of the README for installing drivers talks about turning off USB Debugging, etc. So that means we have to be connected the HDMI with the system booted up, right? And we're connected to the PC at the same time? It's a little awkward for to have it attached to both, just because of positioning of my devices. At some point, can I just be connected to the PC, not the HDMI? Again, apologies for these beginner questions.
        Hey, sga, welcome to the world of Android sticks! Is there anything in particular you're looking to backup from your stick? I know it can be a pain re-doing settings over and over on certain apps, but if there's nothing specific that you need to keep from the stick, I find it's almost always worth the time to just wipe out and start from scratch.

As for the process, I always wipe out completely and flash like this (assuming you have the drivers installed):
        1: CX-919 not plugged in. At no point does it need to be connected to HDMI through this, but it helps verify results in the end. So you might want to find long cables or move stuff around, but it's not necessary to be hooked up to the TV while flashing. I'll note where you might want to wait a few minutes if you're not connected to the TV when you're flashing.
        2: Connect microUSB cable to your PC. Holding down the button on CX-919, plug the microUSB cable into the port on the CX-919. Computer should "dun-DUN!" and recognize you plugged it in. When you run the flashing software, it should indicate it's connected.
        --At this point, with the software seeing the device, you're good to go. The additional instructions all pertain to booting the device and putting it into a flash-ready state all through software. If you have a new device and just want to get the latest ROM on it, you don't need to do any of that. [this is what my whole post assumes, so I apologize for wasting your time if this is not the case]
        3. Wipe NAND per instructions in Readme.
        4. Flash ROM per instructions in Readme.
        5. When it's done flashing, if you're connected to the TV, you should see a boot screen and all the misc. loading stuff. If you're not connected to a TV, wait out like 5 minutes or so to let the device do its initial boot, then disconnect and hook up to the TV to verify your boot and whatnot.

Hope that helps, sorry if it was long-winded. I'm fairly new with this but have done quite a bit of work with the CX-919 device recently, so I'm happy to help as much as I can!

Comment

Since there are no answers yet about my previous post, I thought I'd at least try to get the drivers installed on my laptop. I won't flash the rom until I hear some answers to questions in that post.

But of course, I have more questions! First, I tried the reset button method to get into flash mode. I do hear the BONG. I can go into device manager and see the yellow triangle for "Unknown USB device (device descriptor request failed). I proceed as instructed, browsing the the 64-bit Windows 8 driver. However, when I tell it to "update driver software..", it tells me that "The best driver for your device is already installed. Windows had determined that the driver software for your device is up to date". There is an option to "uninstall" rather than "update". I can certainly try that. But I thought I'd give up on that and try the next method.

Now I went on to trying the flash tool method to get into flash mode.....
          There was only one USB cable included with my device. I'm using that for this step 2.
          "2) Connected the supplied USB cable from the device to your PC. It will power up and windows
          may detect the device. DO not worry about that. We need it powered up."

Then I proceeded to step 3 (Rom Flash tool). In my case, I get "No Found RKAndroid...". So part of step 3 says:
          "If at the bottom of the tool you see "No found RKAndroid rock usb". We need to make changes in settings to turn on USB storage. Go into settings and click on developer options. Make sure USB debugging is OFF......." etc.

So now I'm stuck with one of the same questions I had before in my prior post. In order to going into settings, I have to connect the device to the TV through HDMI, right? And I had been using that same USB cable that was mentioned in 2 for connecting the DC port on the dongle to the USB on my TV to get power (I haven't used the adapter that came with it yet).

So...I'm assuming I need to use another USB cable that was not supplied to me? I certainly can do that because I have others, but I don't know about compatibility with all of these cables and this device.

I hope I'm not being too dense here. I'm trying to follow this very carefully, but I guess I'm not reading between the lines very well. Thanks for any help.

Comment

I don't have experience with Windows 8 or specifics on drivers, unfortunately. But basically, once I got the device connected with the properly installed drivers, plugging it in holding the button down got it recognized in the flash tool. I can't really help much beyond that, so I'll leave it to others in the forum, sorry! You might want to start a new thread with questions about getting set up, or consult some of the other threads about installing drivers under Windows 8.

Comment

tucker973, I was writing my 2nd post while you answered. Thanks so much. I'm much more long-winded than you are, so no problem!

I'm in the middle of trying something, so I'll get back to you soon on what you wrote. I only had time to see your first question so far. I only want to back up the entire stock system, just in case something goes wrong....and I don't know what I'll be left with! I saw other threads where someone wished they had been told to do the "dump" before going ahead with the flash. Unfortunately, that requires root, which I'm not.

So I was hoping there was a stock rom that was "easily restorable", without me having to go through rooting and then doing all the dumping of the partitions.

I'll read the rest soon. Thanks again for your help!

Comment

tucker, I finished reading your informative post. It will help me when I do get around to actually flashing the rom. But until I can find a way to be sure I won't "hose" this entirely, I figured I'd just get the drivers installed first. Once I get past that, I'm sure I can use your good advice. You didn't worry about backing up the original stock rom before you started flashing this new one?

I hope someone will be able to help me get the drivers installed. Maybe I can just uninstall what's already there, but I don't want to guess! Thanks again.

EDIT: I found a thread about problems with Windows 8.1, which happens to be what I'm running. I'll see if I can try on a Windows 7 laptop instead.

EDIT2: I got it working by using Windows 7 instead. Great work, Bob! And thanks for your encouragement, Tucker. The only issue I'm having so far is that I'm streaming a video from a laptop to the dongle, and it's pausing a lot. All devices/routers are all quite close to each other. And I used the 720p defaults because I wasn't sure about the status of 1080p. I'd appreciate any advice about anything I can do to tune that, Music is streaming fine with no pauses at all.
                Last edited by sga000; 10-30-2013, 06:27.

Comment

Originally posted by sga000 View Post
                  The only issue I'm having so far is that I'm streaming a video from a laptop to the dongle, and it's pausing a lot. All devices/routers are all quite close to each other.
                  I had the exact same issue.
                  The app of the speedtest.net says it can download around 10 Mbit/s, and indeed, I can watch youtube or netflix just fine (the netflix app is buggy but that's a different issue).
                  On the other hand, if I try to stream or copy the videos from my computer, the speed is usually around 800 Kbit/s-1 Mbit/s, which is just not enough for video streaming.

I tried everything, windows share (from win7), samba share, ftp, nfs. The result is the same (ftp, nfs a little better, but not enough).

And it looks like it's not even the stick's fault, I can't copy files faster between my desktop and laptop either.

I basically gave up, now I download everything directly to the stick (with trasmission) or use a memory stick...

Comment

Originally posted by tr3w View Post
                    I had the exact same issue.
                    The app of the speedtest.net says it can download around 10 Mbit/s, and indeed, I can watch youtube or netflix just fine (the netflix app is buggy but that's a different issue).
                    On the other hand, if I try to stream or copy the videos from my computer, the speed is usually around 800 Kbit/s-1 Mbit/s, which is just not enough for video streaming.

I tried everything, windows share (from win7), samba share, ftp, nfs. The result is the same (ftp, nfs a little better, but not enough).

And it looks like it's not even the stick's fault, I can't copy files faster between my desktop and laptop either.

I basically gave up, now I download everything directly to the stick (with trasmission) or use a memory stick...
                    tr3w, I haven't run tests yet, but I think I've found the problem. I was getting a very low signal on my router. I changed the channel that it was using, and now the signal shows 5 bars. I have no idea what happened yesterday to cause this, but I guess some others must have joined my old channel?

Anyway, I doubt that your problem is the same, but thanks for commenting, and I hope you eventually find out what was wrong.

Comment

after some days with hard use, this issue happens to me:
                      using xbmc, the app crash and when restart all my configuration on xbmc was lost! i see in sdcard (nand) and all xbmc folders are lost...
                      extrange issue eh? all other apps are there and work ok...

for info: using gotham 13 alpha 8

back to alpha 1, never gives me problems and works well with mx pro player

Comment

Originally posted by MARIANOTE View Post
                        after some days with hard use, this issue happens to me:
                        using xbmc, the app crash and when restart all my configuration on xbmc was lost! i see in sdcard (nand) and all xbmc folders are lost...
                        extrange issue eh? all other apps are there and work ok...

for info: using gotham 13 alpha 8

back to alpha 1, never gives me problems and works well with mx pro player
                        I haven't used XBMC heavily yet, but have you reported the issue to their team that's working on the alpha? I wonder if it's possible their 13a8 release has issues with our hardware/firmware combo, since the 13a1 release works?

Comment

4oD

Hi,

Does anyone else have a problem or the solution for 4oD app just spinning a circle when clicking to play a video?

Think is a ROM issue as my Nexus 7 plays them fine.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Comment

Please kill external_sd

Still want use real sdcard as /sdcard and /mnt/sdcard, not /mnt/external_sd

Comment

AW: UPDATED - CX919 - 4.2.2 - Finless ROM 1.6b

Originally posted by ue4611 View Post
                              Still want use real sdcard as /sdcard and /mnt/sdcard, not /mnt/external_sd
                              I think youd need a kernel with modified initramfs for this. Easier solution is directorybind but you need to mount it to an empty folder.
                              Hi all ! This is my application to bind directories located on external_sd to directories on internal memory (/sdcard/). This way You can transfer large application data directories to external_sd. Could be usefull with ex.: games from Gameloft...

Comment

Originally posted by tucker973 View Post
                                I haven't used XBMC heavily yet, but have you reported the issue to their team that's working on the alpha? I wonder if it's possible their 13a8 release has issues with our hardware/firmware combo, since the 13a1 release works?
                                agree, i think isnt a rom issue
                                i cant help xbmc devs because cant make a log file, none android release i tried can do a log in my device
                                xbmc 13a1 works very well with this rom!

can someone tell me if in settings menu is the option to autohide system bar in this rom?, i cant find it! LOL!

Regards to all and specially to Bob and devs!

Comment

Working...
                                X