Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[ROM] Mecool M8S PRO+ TVStock Nexus ROM (Android TV 7.1)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zappomax View Post
    Great porting!
    What about HDR 4k contents on Netflix? Has someone tried to see it with this box or is full-hd the max resolution?
    And what about Amazon Prime video Android TV app? Does it work with this rom?
    I tested this box to see it it will play Netflix in 4k, but it will not, 1080p is max.
    MK818B, T428, ATV 1220, CS918S, TV01, S89H, R89, ADT-1, MK808B Plus, MINIX X8-H Plus, Tronsmart Orion R68

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbas View Post

Yes, got same problem also with original rom. Also apps are crashing, just before I switch on box I get pop up about for example "google play stop running" or any other app stop running.
      Grab a CPU temp app from the Play store and set it to always show the temp. I did this and watched the temp as I performed different task. I do not suffer from any of these problems, listed here, however it did "freeze" once or twice over a span of a week or so. Still trying to replicate the issue that caused the freeze, but does not appear to be heat related, but not confirmed.

A bad power supply can also cause lots of bad issues, but not sure how to test for that. From personal experience, I would 'assume" the power issue, is more of a problem than internal components on the board.
      MK818B, T428, ATV 1220, CS918S, TV01, S89H, R89, ADT-1, MK808B Plus, MINIX X8-H Plus, Tronsmart Orion R68

Comment

Hi Magendanz,

Current ATV ROM seems to be based on a 20170825 FW
        Notes give latest available IMG as 20170815 FW

My latest box (with Freezes) has 20170829 FW installed

Gearbest just told me to install 20170715 .....

Is it possible to add all the available IMG and ZIP OEM Firmwares to your OneDrive p21x Folder for one handy access point ?
        Or if you don't want to waste space in your account then can you post the links here or in Post 1 if possible.

Can't seem to find the 20170825 FW ! or my 20170829 FW
        May not have looked hard enough of course ...

Thanks,
        Pete

p.s. I have looked back but can't find it ... I think you posted a method to extract the box FW to a zip when you were trying to get the latest version and no IMG was available ?

Can you post a link to the method and any tools needed (or the post you made before) - Thanks.
        Last edited by P.X; 09-22-2017, 13:34. Reason: Added p.s.

Comment

Originally posted by clarkss12 View Post

I tested this box to see it it will play Netflix in 4k, but it will not, 1080p is max.
          HDCP is only Level 1.x

I believe Level 2.2 is needed for Netflix 4K
          Last edited by P.X; 09-22-2017, 13:34.

Comment

Originally posted by emilb View Post

Here is how it is currently until I tidy it up a bit, it looks funny but since it's all out of sight I don't mind, and it stays without the top lid on

Could you please tell me where the screws are placed to? How did you open. I don't see any screws on bottom. May be they are under plastic feet. Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by P.X View Post
              Hi Magendanz,

Current ATV ROM seems to be based on a 20170825 FW
              Notes give latest available IMG as 20170815 FW

My latest box (with Freezes) has 20170829 FW installed

Gearbest just told me to install 20170715 .....

Is it possible to add all the available IMG and ZIP OEM Firmwares to your OneDrive p21x Folder for one handy access point ?
              Or if you don't want to waste space in your account then can you post the links here or in Post 1 if possible.

Can't seem to find the 20170825 FW ! or my 20170829 FW
              May not have looked hard enough of course ...

Thanks,
              Pete
              Does Gearbest offer any installation? What is your cpu speed? Is it 1512mhz or 2.0ghz? Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by mabocoglu View Post

Does Gearbest offer any installation? What is your cpu speed? Is it 1512mhz or 2.0ghz? Thank you
                CPU-Z says 1.51GHz

Gearbest don't offer any installation instructions - I guess they expect one to use the Update APP !!

Comment

CPU-Z says 1.51GHz

Gearbest don't offer any installation instructions - I guess they expect one to use the Update APP !!
                  But their web site says it is 2.0ghz. They are very trickey!

Specification

Brand: MECOOL
                  Model: M8S Pro+
                  Type: TV Box
                  System: Android 7.1
                  Processor: S905X
                  CPU: Amlogic S905X
                  Core: 2.0GHz
                  GPU: Mali-450
                  RAM: 1G,2G
                  ROM: 16G,8G
                  Max. Extended Capacity: TF card up to 32GB (not included)

Comment

Originally posted by zappomax View Post
                    Great porting!
                    What about HDR 4k contents on Netflix? Has someone tried to see it with this box or is full-hd the max resolution?
                    And what about Amazon Prime video Android TV app? Does it work with this rom?
                    Regarding Amazon Prime, you can install the app via Amazon Underground or just google the apk and sideload it. However, you'll only get SD with the app. On the other hand, if you follow my guide here, you'll get videos in full HD (1080p). http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-...683#post670683

Comment

Chrome may work to allow Amazon 1080p streaming but IMHO that doesn't seem like an optimal solution for an ATV device. I'd say the Kodi Amazon add-on (1080p) option seems better although IIRC it requires Leia. Loaded the Amazon Video_4.1.115.apk from Shield TV and it installs and runs fine however like Xiaomi Mi Box it won't stream any video. So now I'm wondering would spoofing an Nvidia Shield TV, instead of a Nexus, allow the Amazon Video app for Android TV to stream on the M8S Pro+?

Comment

Or if you don't want to waste space in your account then can you post the links here or in Post 1 if possible..
                        No, I'm not willing to do that on my OneDrive share, but we are talking about a larger effort to archive all the OEM firmware in one central location on FreakTab.org.

I think you posted a method to extract the box FW to a zip when you were trying to get the latest version and no IMG was available? Can you post a link to the method and any tools needed (or the post you made before) - Thanks.
                        The easiest solution is to just do a backup in TWRP, but my preference is to do it manually using the dd command in Terminal (which requires root or you to be in TWRP's Terminal).

For Rockchip, there's this handy tool: https://forum.xda-developers.com/gen...mware-t2915363

However, I haven't yet found the equivalent for Amlogic devices.

Comment

Originally posted by Magendanz View Post

The easiest solution is to just do a backup in TWRP, but my preference is to do it manually using the dd command in Terminal (which requires root or you to be in TWRP's Terminal).

For Rockchip, there's this handy tool: https://forum.xda-developers.com/gen...mware-t2915363

Thanks, my box is completely borked now anyway

Comment

Originally posted by Magendanz View Post

Just to see if I could do a quick-n-dirty partition dumper for Amlogic like this, I made a batch file for the Amlogic USB Update command line tool. You'll need to have previously installed the drivers with USB Burning Tool, but once that is done you can just run the dump_partitions.bat in this to get a quick snapshot of your partitions.

The only downside is that there doesn't seem to be an option for just dumping the entire partition, so you've got to know the sizes first. Ideally, we could revise this to pull the actual partition table from the device, then we could be confident that we'd gotten everything.

UPDATE: The docs for Amlogic's Update.exe command line tool are here: http://freaktab.org/dfca1cce86152d3c
                            Last edited by Guest; 09-22-2017, 23:04.

Comment

@Magendanz - Any thoughts on whether spoofing a Shield TV might allow the Amazon Video app for Shield TV to stream on your ROM?

Comment

Guest commented
                                Editing a comment
                                It couldn't hurt to try, but I'm not optimistic. If someone can find a change to the build.prop that works, please let me know.

IIRC, there are ~ 4 entries in build.prop that need to be changed or were there more you needed to spoof the Nexus? Do you recall which ones I would need to modify? Thanks!

Comment

Guest commented
                                Editing a comment
                                I'm not a big fan of device spoofing, personally, so I'm probably not the one to ask.
                            Working...
                            X