Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[ROM] OpenELEC for Amlogic-based TV boxes (M8, MXQ, TV110, MX2/G18)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by codesnake View Post
    If you know how it should be done, please do.
    I think you might be missing my point.

My point was that you explicitly said this was by-design, essentially a feature, not something to be fixed.

If this was implemented intentionally, it sure would be great to remove it.

I think this will be a surprise for you, but the guy on Russian forum follows my work, and I'm the one who did original work of porting OE to Amlogic, and not vice versa.
    I think you may be misunderstanding some of my comments. I originally thought you were one-in-the-same. The only surprise came when I realized you were not aware of the Russian dev; I'm certainly not suggesting they are the authority, instead, I was suggesting there is a forum post there that has a lot of discussion of this same CEC problem.

But in most of my replies, the additional CEC point I attempt to make is ignored and the personal items are drawn attention-to.

So to clarify: I'm very impressed with your build and the time you spend. You're a god among men. Now that we've got that out of the way, I just wonder if I can get the point across how CEC being supported in one mode, when not in another, is an issue -- and Kodi could better do the job of power-save. If there could just be an option in a config file, that would be fine.

Originally posted by MikeD
    I don't know why the box should boot if you just power on the TV. If have have several other CEC devices then should they all get powered on? The TV don't know which device you want to use if you just hit the power button. So it's intend is to power on the device and then TV.
    It makes only sense for me if you have some CEC TV settings where you can declare which devices should get powered on when TV starts.
    @MikeD, You're making the exact same point as I have earlier.

I'm not advocating for CEC to turn anything on. I'm advocating for the ability in the Kodi OpenElec AmLogic builds to disable this "by-design" feature.

Like you, many people don't want their Kodi box controlling, or being controlled, by their TV. But more importantly, if only one feature (Power-Save) is supported by the OpenElec build, and Power-Wake is not supported, it really makes no sense to implement only one side. Especially when Kodi already has a very nice user-configurable power-save feature, and the box draws less than 6 watts at idle.

Most importantly, there are many people that prefer their Kodi box stays on at all times.

This is required by people that like to use it as an Airplay/DLNA server, Torrent client, etc. But Kodi will not wake in the Power-Save state of this OpenElec build. Therefore, having CEC automatically power-save my box, without an option to disable, causes problems at many levels.

Comment

Someone posted in this thread a command to disable CEC in a ssh session. When you make a "autostart.sh" file with this command in /storage/.config it will disable it on every start.
      But I'm not sure if this is still supported by the latest releases.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeD View Post
        Someone posted in this thread a command to disable CEC in a ssh session. When you make a "autostart.sh" file with this command in /storage/.config it will disable it on every start.
        But I'm not sure if this is still supported by the latest releases.
        Yes, that worked for me.
        MK818B, T428, ATV 1220, CS918S, TV01, S89H, R89, ADT-1, MK808B Plus, MINIX X8-H Plus, Tronsmart Orion R68

Comment

Originally posted by wpb View Post
          I think you might be missing my point.

My point was that you explicitly said this was by-design, essentially a feature, not something to be fixed.

If this was implemented intentionally, it sure would be great to remove it.

I think you may be misunderstanding some of my comments. I originally thought you were one-in-the-same. The only surprise came when I realized you were not aware of the Russian dev; I'm certainly not suggesting they are the authority, instead, I was suggesting there is a forum post there that has a lot of discussion of this same CEC problem.

But in most of my replies, the additional CEC point I attempt to make is ignored and the personal items are drawn attention-to.

So to clarify: I'm very impressed with your build and the time you spend. You're a god among men. Now that we've got that out of the way, I just wonder if I can get the point across how CEC being supported in one mode, when not in another, is an issue -- and Kodi could better do the job of power-save. If there could just be an option in a config file, that would be fine.

@MikeD, You're making the exact same point as I have earlier.

I'm not advocating for CEC to turn anything on. I'm advocating for the ability in the Kodi OpenElec AmLogic builds to disable this "by-design" feature.

Like you, many people don't want their Kodi box controlling, or being controlled, by their TV. But more importantly, if only one feature (Power-Save) is supported by the OpenElec build, and Power-Wake is not supported, it really makes no sense to implement only one side. Especially when Kodi already has a very nice user-configurable power-save feature, and the box draws less than 6 watts at idle.

Most importantly, there are many people that prefer their Kodi box stays on at all times.

This is required by people that like to use it as an Airplay/DLNA server, Torrent client, etc. But Kodi will not wake in the Power-Save state of this OpenElec build. Therefore, having CEC automatically power-save my box, without an option to disable, causes problems at many levels.
          You reason that some HDMI CEC features are logically should work one or another way, but HDMI CEC is a standard and I believe Amlogic followed it when developing their CEC feature. But I agree that HDMI CEC should be configurable from OE in some way, and I'll add that feature in one of the next releases.

Comment

You reason that some HDMI CEC features are logically should work one or another way, but HDMI CEC is a standard and I believe Amlogic followed it when developing their CEC feature.
            Yep, you're 100% correct. ARC & CEC are standards that should be followed. Fortunately I'm not requesting to any change in the protocol or standard in any way. Only the configurable option, so we're in agreement.

Regarding the stock Amlogic behavior (which is driven by the software enabling it):
            The Amlogic boxes do indeed support *exactly* the type of feature I'm requesting. Here's how to see that feature first-hand. Under the stock "Mediabox" launcher (with the stock Android ROM) that ships with 90% of these Amlogic boxes, follow this menu:

... Settings > Display > CEC Control

You'll see a screen that looks like this:

Here's the beauty of this feature: You can disable "One Key Power Off" yet you can keep the remote commands for things like the D-Pad.

By disabling "One Key Power Off", the box will remain running when the TV shuts down. Yet if you leave the other features enabled, you can still use the other benefits of CEC! Awesome, right?

Again, this is the stock behavior, not any sort of add-on or kludge.

But I agree that HDMI CEC should be configurable from OE in some way, and I'll add that feature in one of the next releases.
            That's really great news, thank you! I'll follow the builds and test once you release. Of course I'll send a bounty over at that point as well. If there is any way to enable/disable the same params available in the Mediabox launcher, that would be even better; however, beggars can't be choosers, so I'm only throwing it out as food-for-thought if you realize that with one, comes the ability to do the others without much extra.

Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by clarkss12 View Post
              Yes, that worked for me.
              That's true, I had tried this and there were a couple of issues. For the life of me I don't remember what it was, but I can re-try and report back. It also disables all CEC features instead of only the power-off/save (but that's fine).

BTW - For those of you who are curious about the fix they are referring to, I'll post it here:

In the .config/autostart.sh script, add the following command:
              echo 0 > /sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/cec_config

Of course you have to make it executable:
              chmod +x autostart.sh

Comment

HW decoding does work on M8.
                is sdk or amlogic codec for linux problem?
                can be fix it in future?

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by gtvdev View Post
                  Hello Codesnake,

did you get time to check the hardware encoding issue?

thanks.
                  Unfortunately I cannot reproduce the issue. I tried a few of the samples you provided and they play just fine on my M8 using HW decoding.

Comment

Unfortunately I cannot reproduce the issue. I tried a few of the samples you provided and they play just fine on my M8 using HW decoding.
                    Thanks for your response. What's weird is that it works on some devices and on others, it doesn't. Only difference is the TV the device is being used with. Anything in XBMC settings or OpenELEC config you would suggest i try changing?

Comment

Originally posted by gtvdev View Post
                      Thanks for your response. What's weird is that it works on some devices and on others, it doesn't. Only difference is the TV the device is being used with. Anything in XBMC settings or OpenELEC config you would suggest i try changing?
                      Try to execute the following command using SSH before playback:
                      Code:
                      echo 0 > /sys/class/tv/policy_fr_auto

Comment

Try to execute the following command using SSH before playback:
                        Code:
                        echo 0 > /sys/class/tv/policy_fr_auto
                        I will check and get back to you within the next 2 hours.

Thanks

Comment

@Codesnake - does your builds for other than WETEK players include wetek made fixes? I read that "they" fixed 23.97 fps problem, and some other, like proper deinterlacing.
                          NEVER believe in chinese promises.

Comment

Originally posted by iam View Post
                            @Codesnake - does your builds for other than WETEK players include wetek made fixes? I read that "they" fixed 23.97 fps problem, and some other, like proper deinterlacing.
                            Yes, include.

Comment

Yes, include.
                              Thank you Sadly but i can not run your builds on my Vigica C60s.. it just stucks at KODI screen.. sometimes it blinks..sometimes it just show it without blinking.

What may cause this? Good i can a bit understand russian so i found how to unbrick my device with shorting scheme 2 pins on board to boot from SD again. I really want to run it from internal memory, because on micro sd VITMOD (i think you know it) sometimes loads sometimes dont (i think this is bootloaders fault).
                              Last edited by iam; 03-03-2015, 14:59.
                              NEVER believe in chinese promises.

Comment

Originally posted by iam View Post
                                Thank you Sadly but i can not run your builds on my Vigica C60s.. it just stucks at KODI screen.. sometimes it blinks..sometimes it just show it without blinking.

What may cause this? Good i can a bit understand russian so i found how to unbrick my device with shorting scheme 2 pins on board to boot from SD again. I really want to run it from internal memory, because on micro sd VITEK MOD (i think you know it) sometimes loads sometimes dont (i think this is bootloaders fault).
                                Unfortunately I don't know what causes the problem on your box. It is basically the same AML-8726MX G18REF.

Comment

Working...
                                X